Saturday, January 13, 2007

Favorite Things



I made this dish in kindergarten and it has always been one of my favorite things. It has survived 4 moves, three brothers (though one wrote his name on it, trying to say he made it. Guess he was too young to realize my name was carved into it). I remember the day I made it in afternoon kindergarten at Carman Trails Elementary School in Missouri, where we lived at the time. I remember feeling so excited that I got to make that little circle of clay into whatever I wanted. There were pencils, bottle caps, paperclips and combs to aid us in our decorating. We pushed them into the clay to leave an imprint.


We only had art once a week so making these clay creations was quite a process. One week we molded and decorated the next we glazed. I don't recall if picking out a color was as exciting to me as forming the dish itself (probably not seeing as I can't remember) but it is no surprise that I choose blue. Sky blue was always my favorite color until about five years ago when it was dethroned by red and yellow. Poor blue! I still love you!

I wish you all a restful Saturday. We need to go to Costco today, clean the garage and I hoping sometime today I can have a few hours to myself to thrift. A girl can hope, right? Happy Saturday!

6 comments:

K8theGreat said...

Haha, I've always wondered about that clay creation... is it a coaster? and ashtray? a wierd turtle shell? turns out its better: just a memory! Happy Saturday!

little lovelies said...

Happy Saturday, Kate! By the way, it was your genius hubby who wrote his name on my dish. Lucky fer him I love him!

beki said...

See, you had style even back then. What pretty color your creation is!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love the yellow red and blue blog! My favorite three colors as well. Well, and lime green.

little lovelies said...

Thanks, Pam! My fave green is apple green. When we re-do the kitchen that is the color I want to paint the walls, Aaron isn't quite there yet, though...

carolyn said...

Hope you get time to thrift.