Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I hope this comes through! It's the catwalk scene from Kinky Boots, which I watched during the kids naptime yesterday. the whole movie cracked me up, but this scene shattered me, it's so funny. The stuffy British owner of a failing shoe factory decides to make boots for drag queens - "2 1/2 feet of tubular sex". Drag Queens have a hard time finding shoes to support their weight, you know.

The owner is strutting his stuff because the drag queens didn't show up to model his kinky boots. If you haven't seen this movie, you MUST, it's HILARIOUS!

It's the perfect cheering up movie clip, which today I needed.

It has been three years today since my dad died. It's weird how surreal the experience was and, at times, still is. I think what made it so strange for me was that I was moved out of the house, and had stopped seeing and talking to him on a daily basis, so it was hard to think he was gone. He was just at work, or at his house, but not gone.

I just deleted everything I had written here about him, I think because nothing I could say would do him justice. He was one of the most complicated people I have ever know. Maybe the most complicated. He was a genuis. He was maddening and hilarious and weird. He loved all movies scifi or action or political, but wouldn't hesitate to take me to a romantic comedy. He took me to Clueless, French Kiss, and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. And He loved them. He would have taken me to Kinky Boots, I'm sure. That scene would have cracked his stuff up.

The weekend before he died my family traveled down to SOuthern California to say goodbye to my brother, who was leaving for his second tour in Iraq. For weeks after hearing Dallas was leaving for Iraq everyone on the family had a bad taste in their mouth. We all felt something might happen to him, so we drove 6 hours to say goodbye to him and left to go home the next day. We all stayed in a hotel and in the morning, my dad had to get up and go to work. He worked his weeks in So cal and flew his plane up to Nor Cal for the weekends.

I remember sitting, eating breakfast and looking up to see my mom out the window saying goodbye to my dad before he drove away. I thought for a second about going out to say bye and decided not to because I would see him next weekend when he came home. It was on his way home the next week that his little plane crashed into the side of a mountain. It is definitely something I regret, but I try not to dwell on. I just make sure now that I tell my family how much I love them all the time. So much so that my son frequently rolls his eyes at me, "I love you, too momma. Stooop!"

Kay. Now go hug your kids, call your parents give them some love and go watch that clip again, so that you can be all cheered up, now that I brought you all down.

5 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

I know exactly what you mean about the goodby thing. If you could only have that moment back.

Anonymous said...

awww... that is so sad and sweet and touching... I just don't even know what to say. My dad sounds a lot like your dad... he even tought my 2 year old to call him genius! But the good news is your kids have the best kind of angel watching over them... a Grampa angel! Our thoughts are with you :( I have to go watch that clip now... for sure!!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

So many times we are rushing and working and mothering our kids and we forget or put off telling a person how we feel. Thank you so much for the reminder! (((((hugs))))))

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the excellent life-reminder...I lost my mom 2 years ago--but now that she's really gone, there are times I can see bits of her in me. Hope you have that same experience with your dad. They're always with us!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. I lost my dad in a car accident when I was little. Hard to be without one or both of your parents. And I do the same thing with my family, always saying goodbye, even when just going to the store because you just never know. I have seen "Kinky Boots", and loved it as well. It was great! Glad to know that it cheers you up to see that clip.